July 22, 2024

[ad_1]

A fracture in the left hand has ruled out Australia batter Travis Head from the first half of the World Cup in India with his participation in the rest of the tournament also uncertain, leaving the door open for the inclusion of in-form Marnus Labuschagne. The opener was struck on the left glove by a short delivery from Proteas seamer Gerald Coetzee in the fourth ODI against South Africa last week. Head coach Andrew McDonald revealed that Head, who will miss the three-match ODI series against India beginning on Friday, doesn’t require surgery but the Australian selectors need to deliberate on the risk of “carrying” him in the World Cup squad.

“The timeframe is still a bit loose at the moment but the good news is he doesn’t require surgery as it sits at the moment. There will be an extended period of time out and we’ve just got to weigh up whether that time (out) falls with an option to carry him through the front half of the World Cup,” McDonald said.

“There’s no doubt he won’t be available for the front half, so that’s a decision we’ll have to make for the final 15. But I can’t give you an exact time frame.” The World Cup starts on October 5 with the final scheduled for November 19.

Head’s injury leaves the door ajar for Labuschagne, who did not make Australia’s 15-member provisional squad. However, the Test star put up tremendous display in the ODIs against South Africa, finishing as the leading run-scorer.

“I can’t talk on behalf of the selection panel and lock him away in the World Cup 15 but it’s no doubt looking likely,” McDonald said.

“He’s made a significant shift in his intent at the crease and putting the bowlers under pressure (more) than he was potentially 12 months ago. He’s struck at around 100 strike-rate in this series.

“We know Marnus is a quality player and he probably didn’t have the 12-18 months in one-day cricket that he would have liked.

“But he’s no doubt taken that opportunity with both hands and there’s no doubt he’ll be front and centre when it comes to that 15-man squad down the track,” he added.

In Head’s absence, Mitchell Marsh is likely to be elevated to the opening position.

Australia take on India in Chennai on October 8 in their World Cup opener.

The last date to make changes to the squad is September 28, post which any changes would need approval from the ICC.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Topics mentioned in this article

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Batman138 Bro138 Dolar138 Gas138 Gudang138 Hoki99 Ligaciputra Panen77 Zeus138 Kilat77 Planet88 Gaspol168 Sikat88 Rupiah138 Garuda138 Gacor77 Roma77 Sensa138 Panen138 Slot138 Gaco88 Elanggame Candy99 Cair77 Max7 Best188 Space77 Sky77 Luxury777 Maxwin138 Bosswin168 Cocol88 Slot5000 Babe138 Luxury138 Jet77 Bonanza138 Bos88 Aquaslot Taktik88 Lord88 Indobet Slot69 Paus138 Tiktok88 Panengg Bingo4d Stars77 77dragon Warung168 Receh88 Online138 Tambang88 Asia77 Klik4d Bdslot88 Gajah138 Bigwin138 Markas138 Yuk69 Emas168 Key4d Harta138  Gopek178 Imbaslot Imbajp Deluna4d Luxury333 Pentaslot Luxury111 Cair77 Gboslot Pandora188 Olxtoto Slotvip Eslot Kuy138 Imbagacor Bimabet